January Recipe: “Broccoli Quinoa fritters with White Bean Puree Arugula Salad"
Broccoli Quinoa Fritters with White Bean Puree Arugula Salad
Prep time; 20 minutes
Cook time; 50 minutes
Total time; 1hr 10 minutes
Serves; 5-6 people
Special equipment needed; food processor, immersion blender, or regular blender
For white bean puree
- 2 16 oz can of cannellini white beans
- One 16 oz can of butter beans
- 2 cloves garlic
- About 2 Tablespoons of olive oil
- One Tablespoon lemon juice
- Kosher salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
For the fritters
- 2 heads of broccoli destemmed and broken into bite sized pieces
- ¾ cup of dry quinoa
- 1 ½ cups of water for boiling quinoa
- 5 eggs
- ½ cup of shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 cloves of minced garlic
- 1 cup of bread crumbs
- ¼ teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon of kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black cracked pepper
- Olive oil as needed
- One small container of arugula salad greens for serving
For the white bean puree
- Open all of your cans of beans (the cannellini and butter beans)
- Pour the beans with the liquid into a medium saucepan and set on the stove over medium heat
- Mince your two cloves of garlic and add to the beans.
- Let cook on the stove until the beans are very soft and tender, this should only take about 10-15 minutes.
- Once beans are soft, transfer them to a food processor (or blender or immersion blend them in the pan) and add the olive oil, lemon juice, and salt and pepper.
- Blend the bean mixture until it has turned into a liquid sauce. (more olive oil may be needed to get the sauce to be the right consistency)
- Move the sauce back into the saucepan and leave on the stove covered over very low heat while you work on the fritters
For the Fritters
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
- Start boiling the 1 ½ cups of water and pour the quinoa into the water. Let the quinoa sit on the stove and reduce to a simmer when it starts to boil. The quinoa will take around 25-30 minutes to fully cook.
- Now prepare some of the ingredients; break/cut your broccoli into bite size pieces and peel/mince the 3 cloves of garlic
- Spread the broccoli onto a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, mix to coat all the broccoli pieces
- Place the broccoli in the preheated oven and bake until slightly charred. (about 10-12 minutes)
- Take your broccoli out of the oven and transfer to a cutting board. Cut your broccoli pieces into small pieces (around ¼ inch cubes).
- Check on your quinoa. Once the quinoa has fully absorbed all of the water, transfer it into a big mixing bowl. Add the broccoli, minced garlic, cayenne pepper, kosher salt, shredded cheddar, bread crumbs, and cracked pepper. Stir to combine.
- Now crack the 5 eggs into the mixing bowl and stir to combine.
- Now you should be able to form the “broccoli/quinoa” mixture into patties. If your mixture is too dry and crumbly, crack a few more eggs into it. If your mixture is too wet, add some more bread crumbs.
- Preheat a large skillet over medium high heat with enough canola oil (or any other high heat oil) to coat the bottom.
- When the skillet is hot, start forming the broccoli/quinoa mixture into patties and place them on the skillet. Continue to cook until the underside has browned, then flip and cook until that side has browned.
Platting and eating
- Spoon a decent amount of the white bean puree onto your plate.
- Now grab a handful of arugula salad and place over the puree. Drizzle your arugula with a little bit of olive oil and sprinkle it with salt and pepper.
- Lay your crispy broccoli and quinoa fritters over the arugula greens and enjoy!
- If you are looking for a sauce or dressing to put on the fritters, a simple mayo based aioli is great! (mayo, lemon juice, salt and pepper)
Call today to get started on your journey or if you have any questions.(844) 955 1066